Wednesday, September 05, 2012

She said, "YES!"

"Anna, she said YES!", Josie screams as she turns to run toward her sister. I smile at the joy to be able to say, "Yes", to my daughter. She came to me, hesitant to ask her question.  Her big brown eyes shy and her approach tentative, unsure if I would "buy" what she had to "sale." It was a question that deserved a "no." Maybe it was for candy, or to go to the pool during rest time, I honestly can't remember. But I do remember the smile that lit up her face when I surprised her and said, "Yes." As parents we get that joy every now then. We say "no" so much, that when given a chance we love to say , "yes." Josie is my beautiful girl and I want to give her everything! All the toys, candy, activities that would bring into her life pure joy and lots of fun. However, as a parent, we know some fun things aren't good for you. Eating candy before school would be one of those things, so we say "no."

As I relished in saying "Yes", I wondered....what does God feel like when He says, "yes?" Does He feel the same thrill in giving us our hearts desires? (psalm 37.4) Does he smile inwardly as we approach with doubt in our hearts? Knowing all the while, He will grant our request.

Josie and Anna have wanted a pet forever. Unfortunately, due to our housing we can not get them a pet right now. Which makes me heart sad to say, "no." But, I look forward to the day when I can surprise them with a big ol' "YES!" And we can bring two little kittens home. I pray for this. It is a silly prayer really. Yes I still ask unsure of when the answer will be "yes."

In Matthew, the Bible tells us to become like little children. Well my little children ask alot. Sometimes the same question over and over. Sometimes I give in just so they will stop asking. Hmm....maybe we should be more like little children approaching the throne day after day. I pray we are not unsure in our asking but that we may approach the throne with boldness. Confident and trusting in the King who loves us. Trusting His answer is the right and only one.

Proverbs 3: 5-6
Trust. Don't try to understand...Just Trust. Take His Word.
The dress she wore to school.

I think of the old hymn, "Tis so sweet to trust in Jesus, just to take Him at His word...."

P.S. I also said, "Yes" to Josie wearing her princess dress to school. At first I said "no" because I didn't want her to stick out or be silly but, then I thought about her point of view. This is her "nicest" dress and she feels beautiful in it. And you only get to be a child once. Somewhere along the journey of growing up ...we lose that ...that entitlement to wear a princess dress. To walk into school being a princess, or at least dress like one. So I am thankful for her choice and let her walk in confidence of that choice. I love you Princess Josie. Thank you for teaching me everyday about God's love and creation.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home