Tuesday, April 19, 2005

We Must Engage!

Living in the Bible Belt of Texas all my life, I have become accustomed to feel of "leather" around my waist. Not too mention, the brassy belt buckel of pride that says, "Hey,I am a Christian!" Gathering each week with my "posse", the really good cowboys met 3 times, to talk about home on the range, the good book, and how we can correl the "wild mustangs." We watch from the high mountain tops, looking below as they run in herds, amazed by their numbers, their strength, their beauty. But do we run with them...OH NO! That could be dangerous...we could get lost in the stampede. Most times we keep our distance, return to our campsite, huddle around the fire for warmth, talk about whats going on out there in the wild west, and go to bed.

Being in the "wild west", so to speak, I feel a little lost. You see for last 5 years, my whole life revolved around the campsite....church. I worked there, worshiped there, all my friends were somehow connected to the church, it was my social life, work life, and spiritual life. And usually when I did encounter a "wild mustang" I was in the company of other bearers of the belt buckle. Kind of boosts the confidence...now I find myself alone...and wondering where I fit in out on the range. My instinct, only bc its what I have known, is to retreat within the church walls. You know we what do...circle up the wagons and have our own community. Then it strikes me...did Christ hang out in the church all the time. No he was associated with sinners...even ate with them...IN THEIR HOUSES. "Whoah, whaoh...that is a little out there don't you think?" Yes it is for a little baptist girl, but not for God's girl.

I am learning...that it might be better (Now if you are baptist grown cowboy..HOLD onto your saddle for this one!) to go...maybe (hold tight now) even have a glass of wine or go dancing with them, so that I may build a relationship. And by building, and LOVING.....I may one day share Christ with them. Very contraversial among the belt buckles...stirs up the campfire if you will.

Bottom line: There is no impact without contact. We must engage!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home