Saturday, February 26, 2005

The grass is always greener...

At least that is what four horses thought yesterday. Let me set the stage for you...Melodee arrives for her lesson and Melissa (trainer) says, "Are you comfortable going and getting the horse?" "Sure no problem. I got this." By the way, I was wearing my new boots and jeans thinking I was all kind of cute. I even had two cute long pig tails. She said the mare was with the fjords...and horses from Norway. Stocky and more docile horse. Well I went out and didn't see any horse with the Fjords...but in the pasture next to them were two horses. So I crawled thru the fence with rope in hand...just like any professional wrangler would. So one horse, who later I found out was named Rocky, came right up and was really friendly. Now I "think" mare means girl.......so I duck down and check. Weiner. Not my horse. So I go towards the other horse. Again I check. Again definately NOT a girl. Well now I'm confused. But I am NOT going back without a horse. So I decided to get the last horse. Well, Rocky (not on my rope) gets all excited and trys to get this other horse to run..whoah whoah....Melodee does not want to run. Anyway so I take the horse to the gate (which divides the two pastures) ALL the horses gather at the gate. I'm like what the heck..how am I going to get this one horse thru the gate. Well you never know unless you try. So I open the gate part way...ok now the horse are freakin out..jumpin and stuff.....lots of choas and then before I know it. The horse have totally switched pastures. They are bucking and one even stopped and rolled around and then ran the fenceline. GREAT. And one of them is running with my rope around his neck. So I go and grab him (back corner of the pasture) and try to lift his head from the new "greener grass." Well whereever this horse goes..Rocky (spawn of satan..just kidding) goes with and tries to get this horse to run. So here I am trying to say, NO to a big ol horse..who is by the way dragging me thru mud. Finally after much effort, I get the one horse out..only to meet Melissa coming down the road. (it has been at least a half hour) Yep you guess it ..not the right horse. I was suppose to get the Fjord....I didn't check them. How did I not get that I just needed the Fjord that was a mare. Communication definately would have saved me alot of trouble. We both put them back into the right pastures and I got the right horse for my lesson.

In the end, I had a good lesson and felt like I was begining to understand English a little better. No one was hurt (mainly me.) And I got to see what it was like to watch horses do a chinese firedrill. Later that day, I went back to the stables to help Jeff muck stalls. Hard work but there is something nice about simple hard labor. Felt good.

Jeff and I then went to the Palms. A very small theater..we are talking holds maybe 30 in it to see "Being Julia." We went bc Susie and Steve invited us. Funny neither of us were in the mood but we did it...and we smelled like horse. I felt bad for those around us. OH and Jeff was trying to be nice by holding open the "bathroom" door for this man.....the man just passed him by....bc you see just was holding open the door to the janitor's closet...hehehe..silly boy.

I keep seeing those horses bucking and running the fence.....even rolling in the dirt. And immediately eating the "new" grass ....makes me think about how we are..just waiting at the fence. We look over and think..man that grass sure looks good and the moment we can we bust thru the fence so excited. I wonder how long it would take for the horses to realize....the grass and pasture size was pretty much the same. I think Paul said something like, "I have learned to be content whatever the situation......." Sure it is nice to prance around a new pasture but if we aren't set there by God, eventually we will grow discontent...see the fences and the weeds. The only real JOY and peace come from Christ....not a new situation.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home